23.2.11

Substance, Style, Sucker Punch

While I'm writing a couple of other things, figured I'd post this in the meantime:


Sucker Punch is one of the movies I'm most looking forward to this year. Zack Snyder has proven time and time again that he understands how to make a movie look amazing. I don't think I've ever actively disliked any of his movies*, but that is heavily dependent on the fact that he bolsters a mediocre-to-good story with some mind-blowing visuals. Sucker Punch is the first of his movies, though, not being adapted from some pre-existing work, and this leaves me with pretty high hopes for it. Often, a film with an original concept, with origins a visually-oriented filmmaker is more personally close to, is substantially better than same filmmaker's adapted works (see also: Tim Burton). But, like I said, I am psyched to see this film, regardless of content, for how God Damned Beautiful it looks. This trailer, especially, puts its best foot forward. No dialogue, no inkling of plot, no conceivable idea of what's going on, just straight-up pretty things to look at. It may turn out to be style over substance, but dang, that is enough style to make up for it if it is. This is going to be the first film I've seen since this brave new age of 3D that I'm going to actively seek out in an IMAX theater. I want this thing to be presented to me as big and shiny and fine-looking as possible.

*I haven't seen the owl one, and really don't plan to any time soon. But, more to my point, I will admit that at least the trailer was visually stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment