20.7.11

Amazing Sadder Man

Trying not to nerd-rage about this, but I think I'm going to have to, for my own sanity: the Amazing Spider-Man trailer looks atrocious.


I'll emphasize, the trailer looks atrocious. I am well familiar with the concept of a trailer setting a particular tone that may not reflect the film itself accurately for marketing purposes, so I understand trying to make you film look like a parkour-infused Twilight, that is a fresh source of disposable income to tap into for your film. But this isn't the week to do that. With San Diego Comic-Con kicking off, if you have anything true to your character, frankly any fun at all in your movie, this is when you'd need to showcase it. Instead, this reeks so heavily of Team Edward's influence that I wouldn't be surprised if a glitter-dipped Morbius showed up. The appeal of Spider-Man for me has always been overcoming the angst and the drama, not wallowing in it. Peter here is so dark and brooding he comes off more as a villain than a hero, for all this trailer puts forward this could be a reboot of the Fly instead of Spider-Man. This is a trailer so devoid of fun and whimsy that even the webswinging, once a beautiful, soaring sequence in the earlier films, feels flat and spiritless here.

I can't debate that Spider-Man 3 was not a very good movie, but to go back to a time before we knew that, to watch the trailer still provided some hope in the movie being good:



In hindsight certainly, the clues that this was going to be a muddled mess were all there, but at the time it had the uplifting tone, the humor and the action I wanted from the series. And for the record, muddled mess though it may be, SM3 was not devoid of its good parts. Like the equally-maligned X-Men Origins: Wolverine, there was a lot of good elements to the movie. It just happened that what wasn't good in it was instead so bad that it became toxic to the rest of the film, destroying the good will built up by what had been working. The Amazing Spider-Man crew could be going in another direction with their movie, tonally, and that's fine for the people who'd want to watch that, but for my personal taste that doesn't bode well for my enjoying the film at all. And as a lifetime Spider-Man fan, having to wait another couple of years for the next reboot cycle to come around and maybe undo what was done will just be wearisome.

The last movie that completely ignored the source material's light-hearted and fun side in favor of a more serious, dramatic storyline? The Last Airbender. I'm not saying it's going to be that bad, but for now this has made me retroactively come to the defense of Spider-Man 3, and both it and I are going to have to live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment